Fair Play Codes (as per Hockey Canada)
* I will play hockey because I want to, not just because others or coaches want me to.
* I will play by the rules of hockey, and in the spirit of the game.
* I will control my temper - fighting and "mouthing off" can spoil the activity for everybody.
* I will respect my opponents.
* I will do my best to be a true team player.
* I will remember that winning isn’t everything - that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
* I will acknowledge all good plays/performances - those of my team and of my opponents.
* I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
* I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
* I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
* I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
* I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of the game.
* I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
* I will not ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
* I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays/performances by both my child’s team and their opponents.
* I will never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public.
* I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s hockey games.
* I will keep any negative comments about players, volunteers, coaches, managers, officials, etc. to myself or discuss them in a rational manner with a board member, manager or coach as needed.
* I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer Coaches who give their time to coach hockey for my child.
* I will remember that participants play hockey for their enjoyment. They are not playing to entertain me.
* I will not have unrealistic expectations. I will remember that players are not professionals and cannot be judged by professional’s standards.
* I will respect the officials’ decisions and I will encourage participants to do the same.
* I will never ridicule a player for making a mistake during a game. I will give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort.
* I will condemn the use of violence in any form and will express my disapproval in an appropriate manner to coaches and league officials.
* I will show respect to my team’s opponents, because without them there would be no game.
* I will not use bad language, nor will I harass players, coaches, officials or other spectators.
* I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that players have other interests and obligations.
* I will teach my players to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
* I will ensure that all players get equal instruction, support and playing time.
* I will not ridicule or yell at my players for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that players play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
* I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the players’ ages and abilities.
* I will remember that participants need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example
* I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
* I will work in cooperation with officials for the benefit of the game.